Turner Hopkins supports men's health. Visit Bike for Blokes to learn more.

What happens if my ex-partner wants to re-locate to another city/country with our child/children?

Posted in: Care of Children (Child Custody)

Where a child lives is a guardianship decision which both parents need to make together.

If you are the parent wishing to relocate and you do not receive permission from the other parent to do so you will need to make an application to the Family Court to obtain permission to take the children. The parent wanting the relocation will need to satisfy the Court that the move will be in the best interests of the children, particularly if existing care arrangements with the other parent will need to be significantly changed as a result of the proposed move.

If you are a parent wishing to relocate bear in mind that applications to the Family Court can take many months to process.

Need legal help?

Get in touch now