Franchise businesses are everywhere in New Zealand and this method of business does not seem to be slowing down, if anything franchising is increasing in New Zealand. The last survey of franchising in New Zealand was conducted in 2012 and at that time there were 423 active franchise systems in New Zealand operating 450 brands in New Zealand. For a small country we definitely punch above our weight when it comes to franchising.
Whether you are a franchisor or a franchisee Turner Hopkins will look for innovative ways to provide you with cost effective and practical legal services, which meet your individual requirements.
Why Choose Turner Hopkins
- We have the experience – Our staff have acted for both franchisors and franchisees for in excess of 10 years
- We have the knowledge – we have acted for and currently still act for some of the bigger names in franchising
- We have reviewed and provided advice on the franchise agreements for most of the well-known franchise systems in New Zealand so we are in a great position to provide you with expert legal advice in a very timely fashion and for a competitive price
- We have developed fixed price packages for legal services and these can be tailored to meet your individual needs.
- We have fantastic connections with the most respected service providers in the franchising industry including franchise accountants, consultants and bankers. We can put you in touch with the right advisor for your needs.
The Areas We Cover
Purchasing a franchise
We can assist you at every step of the way:
- negotiation of the sale and purchase agreement
- putting you in touch with other franchise professionals who can help you
- review of the franchise documentation
- general advice on purchase of the franchise
- assisting you with funding and settling the transaction.
Franchising your business
If you are looking at franchising your business we can:
- put you in touch with the franchise professionals you need to help you
- we can draft the documentation you need (franchise agreement, disclosure document, terms of supply, confidentiality agreements, application forms, software licence agreements, intellectual property licences, subleases or licences)
- assist you to put systems in place to streamline the legal side of things.
Leasing for franchisees
Leasing is a huge component of some franchise businesses and often a serious long-term commitment. We can:
- review the lease documentation and provide you with advice on your rights and obligations and any further terms which you will need to negotiate
- assist you with the negotiation of those terms
- assist you if you need any help in relation to your interactions with your landlord.
Importing a franchise system
If you are thinking about importing a franchise system into New Zealand we can:
- review and advise you on your rights and obligations under the master franchise agreement and any special terms which are needed to suit New Zealand conditions.
- assist you with preparation and amendment of the documentation you will need for your franchisees.
Exporting a franchise system
- advise you on the steps you need to get your franchise system ready for export
- make sure that you have the right structure
- liaise with lawyers from other countries to ensure that your franchise documentation meets the needs of foreign jurisdictions
We can advise you on your rights and obligations and assist with the dispute resolution process.
Sale of a franchise
We can assist in the negotiation of the terms and conditions of the sale and purchase agreement and fulfilling the requirements of the franchisor in relation to the sale of your business.
Processing renewals & sales
If you are a franchisor we can assist you in designing a system that will simplify your sale and renewal processes and make sure your franchisees meet your requirements.
We can provide you with advice on the best way to protect your intellectual property, the best structure to use and can assist with trademark applications and drafting of licence agreements.
What Turner Hopkins Offers
- Empathetic and helpful approach
- Cost effective and practical advice
- Expert legal advice in a timely fashion