Combating Illegal Street Racing
The Land Transport (Enforcement Powers) Act 2009 and the Sentencing (Vehicle Confiscation) Amendment Act 2009 are the Government's recent responses to the ongoing problems of illegal street-racing around the country. The Acts are designed to work in unison and will enhance the powers of Police and road controlling authorities to tackle this problem. The purposes are to reduce harm and nuisance caused in the community by illegal street racers in terms of road safety, noise, public nuisance and disorder.
The new laws are targeted at only a small portion of the community. For everyday responsible drivers, nothing should change.
The Land Transport (Enforcement Powers) Act 2009 provides:
- local authorities to create bylaws that prevent vehicles cruising city streets;
- the compulsory impoundment of vehicles involved in illegal street racing; and
- tougher penalties for noise offences, failure to give driver details, licence breaches and registration plate offences.
The Sentencing (Vehicle Confiscation) Amendment Act 2009 provides:
- vehicles to be seized and destroyed as a last resort option to punish and deter the most serious repeat offenders of illegal street racing;
- vehicles repeatedly used by people with overdue traffic fines to be sold to pay those fines;
- vehicles to be confiscated that are owned by third parties who allow an offender to use his or her vehicle; and
- vehicles can be confiscated by the Courts from an impoundment yard.
“I can't speak highly enough of Jenny. She got everything done in a timely manner and when my ex-husband threw a spanner in the works at the eleventh hour she got the required documentation to his lawyers and settlement back on track.”
“To Michael Robinson – I wanted to thank you and your colleagues for many years of excellent service to the Bank. You have an outstanding business that has proved to be one of the most reliable and ethical businesses that Collections have dealt with in the almost 9 years I was with the Bank.”
“John is very easy to talk to, he never makes you feel dumb, and never makes you feel like you are wasting his time for asking questions. He explains everything very clearly, every time. John's support staff are also very efficient and so easy to deal with. No detail is missed when dealing with them. My husband and I are fans of them all :)”
“I have struggled with different legal firms over the years, but over the past few years I have engaged with Turner Hopkins with various requirements from personal relating to wills, family trust, property settlements and contracts through to commercial engagements including employment advice, commercial lease agreements and general legal advice. I have engaged with a number of the people in the firm and always found them professional, punctual in their responses and very sound in the advice provided.”
“I have used Turner Hopkins for my legal services for over eight years. I have always found their level of service excellent and their work to a very high standard. I have used various lawyers at their firm for various businesses I have been involved with and have always had very positive experiences. I would highly recommend them.”