Applying for Parenting Orders: How the Recent Family Court Reforms Will Affect You

Applying for Parenting Orders: How the Recent Family Court Reforms Will Affect You

The way in which the Family Court deals with applications to do with the parenting of children has changed dramatically. Most significantly there are changes to how certain applications are made to the court, how parties are represented by their legal counsel and the format of documents filed.

If parents have a private agreement that they want to ensure is enforceable in the future they can apply on the standard track for a Consent Order. This is the quickest and easiest way to obtain a Parenting Order through the Family Court.

More often, however, parents cannot agree on arrangements for their children. Where there are facts that mean that an urgent application is required (for example if there is the risk of harm or undue hardship to a child) then a Without Notice Application can be made in a way very similar to that previously used. A party who makes a Without Notice Application can use a lawyer to prepare and file the application, or to respond to one made by the other parent, and to represent the party in court from the beginning of the process.

On many occasions it will not be appropriate to make a Without Notice Application as there is no risk of harm or undue hardship to a child. In which case, an application on the standard track will be necessary.

The process of making an application on the standard track is very different to the previous process. In most cases parties who wish to make an application on the standard track need to have taken part in the Parenting Through Separation course and the Family Dispute Resolution (“FDR”) process before making their application to the Family Court for a Parenting Order. FDR is a new step, the aim being to resolve the issues that are stopping parents from agreeing on a plan that is in the best interests of their children prior to becoming engaged in the court process.

Parties who have attended and completed the Parenting Through Separation course and FDR can then apply on the standard track for a Parenting Order. Applications on the standard track must be made by the party themselves and there are certain initial steps including court appearances, that the parties cannot have legal representation at. However, a lawyer can still be of assistance in preparing the documentation required to file the application and to guide their client through the initial court appearances “behind the scenes” to maximise their client’s chances of success and to provide legal advice.

Need Legal Assistance?


Published: Wed, Jul 30th, 2014

Recent Reviews...

“I wanted to thank you and your colleagues for many years of excellent service to the Bank. You have an outstanding business that has proved to be one of the most reliable and ethical businesses that Collections have dealt with in the almost 9 years I have been with BNZ.” ~ A Tooker, Head of Collections, BNZ
“I can't speak highly enough of Jenny. She got everything done in a timely manner and when my ex-husband threw a spanner in the works at the eleventh hour she got the required documentation to his lawyers and settlement back on track.” ~ Tracey
“John is very easy to talk to, he never makes you feel dumb, and never makes you feel like you are wasting his time for asking questions. He explains everything very clearly, every time. John's support staff are also very efficient and so easy to deal with. No detail is missed when dealing with them. My husband and I are fans of them all :)” ~ Jess
“I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to John Stirling and Kathryn Wynd for their patience and understanding. We are so honored to have John and Kathryn looking after us. Whenever someone asks if I know of legal firm, I always say Turner Hopkins.” ~ Manaia
“Joy, we cannot thank you enough for your help with our purchase! You have been wonderful to deal with and so proactive (and patient with my numerous emails). We will be visiting NZ in April so will make sure we drop in to thank you in person.” ~ Mia