What should I consider before signing an employment contract?
If there is an involuntary termination, what will happen?
- If there is a termination, how much notice must you receive?
- What is the base pay and performance incentives?
- Is there a trial period?
- What is the job description or position description?
- If you want to do some work on the side or have a sideline business, is this allowed with your employment contract?
- What are your rights to copyrights, inventions or creative outputs while in the job?
- Is there a restraint of trade in the event of a termination?
- If you wanted to start a business after you leave your employment are you allowed to work with their customers (how long it is before you can approach them)?
- What happens if your employer sells the business?
- Are you allowed to work for a competitor within a certain time frame of leaving the previous job?
Need legal help?