How do I take over management of and make decisions about my incapacitated parent's financial affairs and his/her welfare?

Have Questions? Call Us...

+64 (09) 486-2169 WE ARE OPEN Email us by filling in our enquiry form... Send an Email Enquiry →


Sometimes people lose capacity to make decisions about their welfare or managing their property and need others to make these decisions for them. Unless Enduring Powers of Attorney have been made while the person requiring assistance (the subject person) has capacity an application under the Protection of Personal Property Rights Act to the Family Court will be necessary.

You will likely need help with the application, help with understanding what your ongoing commitments will be and how the process works. The Court requires specific information to be provided to it before it will consider an application. This will need to be presented in an affidavit and medical evidence as to the subject person's incapacity will be required.

The Court will appoint a lawyer to represent the interests of the subject person and the person appointed by the Court to act as welfare guardian and/or property manager will have ongoing reporting obligations to the Court.

Have a question? Get in touch.

Related Family Law FAQs

← View all FAQs

Recent Reviews...

“I can't speak highly enough of Jenny. She got everything done in a timely manner and when my ex-husband threw a spanner in the works at the eleventh hour she got the required documentation to his lawyers and settlement back on track.” ~ Tracey
“Joy, we cannot thank you enough for your help with our purchase! You have been wonderful to deal with and so proactive (and patient with my numerous emails). We will be visiting NZ in April so will make sure we drop in to thank you in person.” ~ Mia
“To Michael Robinson – I wanted to thank you and your colleagues for many years of excellent service to the Bank. You have an outstanding business that has proved to be one of the most reliable and ethical businesses that Collections have dealt with in the almost 9 years I was with the Bank.” ~ Head of Collections
“John is very easy to talk to, he never makes you feel dumb, and never makes you feel like you are wasting his time for asking questions. He explains everything very clearly, every time. John's support staff are also very efficient and so easy to deal with. No detail is missed when dealing with them. My husband and I are fans of them all :)” ~ Jess