Estate administration or estate management is the process of carrying out a person's wishes as set out in their Will, obtaining probate (the legal authority to act on behalf of the deceased’s estate), getting in the assets, paying off any debts and distributing the assets as efficiently as possible.
About Our Estate Administration Services
If a person owns land in their own name, or if any asset in their estate is worth more than $15,000.00, the executors will need to apply for a grant of probate of the Will. If a person does not have a Will, then Letters of Administration may be required in order to have the legal authority to deal with a deceased person’s affairs.
We can assist with the administration of an estate following death. This can include:
- Assisting with funeral arrangements;
- Taking an inventory of the assets and liabilities of the deceased;
- Meeting with the personal representatives named in the Will;
- Advising on any relationship property issues arising;
- Applying for and obtaining probate through the High Court;
- Transferring property, closing bank accounts, advertising for creditors, paying debts and tax due;
- Meeting with the beneficiaries of the Will to keep them updated throughout the administration process and managing any conflicts that may arise;
- Providing advice regarding the mandatory statutory period where the terms of the Will can be challenged; and
- Distributing the assets and accounting for everything in a final statement or set of accounts.
If you are an executor our estates team can advise you on your responsibilities and legal liabilities. We can assist you to bring in the assets of the estate, pay the debts of estate, advise on estate tax obligations and when and how to distribute the estate. We can assist with the legal processes required, the day to day tasks and then distribute the estate in accordance with the Will or, in the case of Letters of Administration, according to the Administration Act.
“To Michael Robinson – I wanted to thank you and your colleagues for many years of excellent service to the Bank. You have an outstanding business that has proved to be one of the most reliable and ethical businesses that Collections have dealt with in the almost 9 years I was with the Bank.”
“Joy, we cannot thank you enough for your help with our purchase! You have been wonderful to deal with and so proactive (and patient with my numerous emails). We will be visiting NZ in April so will make sure we drop in to thank you in person.”
“John is very easy to talk to, he never makes you feel dumb, and never makes you feel like you are wasting his time for asking questions. He explains everything very clearly, every time. John's support staff are also very efficient and so easy to deal with. No detail is missed when dealing with them. My husband and I are fans of them all :)”
“I can't speak highly enough of Jenny. She got everything done in a timely manner and when my ex-husband threw a spanner in the works at the eleventh hour she got the required documentation to his lawyers and settlement back on track.”